by my good friend, Kara Sutton. The other day, when she and I were hanging out, she mentioned that I should write on here more, and I've been meaning to. Truly. It's just that...I haven't. So, this is an excuse to re-introduce myself to this blog. And try to actually use it.
Okay, here we go. Seven random and/or weird facts about yours truly:
1. I have sat here for about 15 minutes trying to think of seven things to mention and instead became mezmerized by the way the sunlight was flickering on the leaves of the tree outside my living room wndow. Which led me to think of the word "dappled", which led me to think of the etymology of that word, which led me to look it up. And now I am back.
dap·pled (dāp'əld) Pronunciation Key
adj. Spotted; mottled.
[Middle English, probably from Old Norse depill, spot, splash, diminutive of dapi, pool.]
I guess this can be used to demonstrate that I have an insatiable desire to know WHY all the time.
2. According to my husband, Zack, the question I ask the most, and often is, "Why?". It drives him crazy. I don't even realise that I'm doing it. But, see #1 above. It makes sense that I do. Zack now satiates this desire in me by buying me random books like, "Why Do Men Have Nipples? Hundreds of Questions You'd Only Ask Your Doctor After Your Third Martini". Zack knows me really well.
3. I, too, like Kara, love to make lists. I have them everywhere. I find that I can't sleep at night with everything that's racing around in my brain and when I write it down, I feel better.
4. I ADORE GARLIC. Anything with garlic in it makes me happy. I used to make garlic toast so much as a kid and teenager that I have now ruined my sister, Erin, for life. She can't stand the smell of it because of me. But I LOVE IT SO.
5. I used to think, when I was a little girl, that my guardian angel was french. Now I know that she is a large black woman named, Mimosa. Which, incidentally, has nothing to do with the book "The Shack" in which God is portrayed as a large, black woman. I had a dream about Mimosa years ago. Actually, I've had two dreams about her. In the first, I was me, only as an old woman, and Mimosa told me some amazing things and then I played with my grandkids in the snow. The second dream I had, Mimosa held me in her lap and hummed a song while I wept and wept. It was intense.
6. I hear colour. Some of you already know this. For me, every note and tone I hear has a different colour. I tend to base everything off of my piano, though. To me it's the only place where the colour is the best. If that makes sense. For instance, the yellow of the Middle C of my piano is better than the yellow of other Middle C notes that I hear. Every piano and instrument makes the same colours for me in the sounds but the...saturation? is different. I assumed that everyone heard music this way. It's only in the past couple of years that I finally found out that this isn't so. Werid for me though. It's like trying to understand that no one else can smell anything, or something.
7. I miss acting. I used to love to act when my mom was alive. And then, after she died, I stopped. Mostly because there was no one to take me to auditions, but also because I didn't have the heart to do so. I sometimes look at the audition section in the Creative Loafing just to see what's out there. I don't think I'll ever do it again, because, weirdly, despite what people seem to believe about me in DROVES, I don't like being on stage. But, I love the theatre so much!
And there you have it.
I don't think that I know seven people who blog who will actually DO this but I'll try.
Well, here goes...